Thursday 26 June 2008

More Blood-Curdling Shenanigans

A couple of months ago I looked at the available covers for the upcoming series of horror classics from Penguin. Two titles at that point were without cover designs: The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins, and The Virgin of the Seven Daggers by Vernon Lee, which was also the only book in the series I hadn't read in some other edition, and knew nothing about.

Well, here are those two covers, which are a lurid match with the rest of the set.



And here's the blurb for Virgin...: "The brutal Don Juan – an unrepentant sinner – makes a pact with the Virgin of the Seven Daggers. He promises to forever proclaim her supreme beauty and asks that in return she save him from damnation. Emboldened by the deal and driven by insatiable greed, he embarks on a necromantic journey to an enchanted palace beneath the Alhambra. In an orgy of beasts, demons and slumbering infantas Don Juan is called upon to uphold his side of the bargain and in doing so lose everything his lustful heart desires."

So, yes, I'll be getting that.

UPDATE: The most excellent Coralie Bickford-Smith informs me that she is responsible for these brilliant covers. She says that "[t]he process I used was inspired by Romek Marber, a freelance designer noted for his work on Penguin crime books in the 1960s. Like Marber I have used light sensitive paper to produce stark graphic images."

I also find that Coralie did the covers for the Penguin Red Classics adventure books I discussed in an earlier post. For more about Romek Marber, see my Simenon Retro post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I designed these, I am glad you liked them enough to have searched out the last two designs.

The process I used was inspired by Romek Marber a freelance designer noted for his work on Penguin crime books in the 1960s. Like Marber I have used light sensitive paper to produce stark graphic images.

JRSM said...

Hi, Coralie: thanks for stopping by and letting me know about these--I love them, and your work on the other Penguin Red Classics, which I discussed elsewhere on this blog. I love Marber's work, too--I talked about him in connection with some 1960s Simenon covers he did for Penguin.

All the best, and thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Coralie, the Vernon Lee one looks like bagpipes. Which are pretty horrific musically speaking, I suppose.

PS JRSM - what you need is a Recent Comments widget in your sidebar!

JRSM said...

I will look into said widget: this is a good idea.