Thursday 6 May 2010

Melting My Brain

So I'm looking through a certain publisher's back catalogue, and I come across this book:



It took me a while to process what I was looking at. Is that really an image of a bottomless woman with enormous breasts and a failing bikini, squirting out an orbiting ring of biliously off-colour breast milk? Well, yes it is. Surely some hideously misguided Japanese action figure?*

No. It's a statue that last sold at Christie's for nearly half a million dollars.


And I thought some book collectors were odd.

*If you've been lucky enough to never have seen such things in the women-loathing hellholes that are the average comics shops, a visit to here, here or here will give you some idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about. Once seen, never unseen, however.

7 comments:

lo said...

I saw this sculpture at SF MOMA a few years back. It's even more startling in person as it towers over the average viewer. Also, if memory serves correctly, there was a male counterpart.

JRSM said...

Cripes! I had no idea it was so large--I think I'd got it into my head that it was action-figure size, and went wrong from there.

Jess said...

Oh, Takashi Murakami! Here's My Lonesome Cowboy, the male counterpart, if you're interested.

JRSM said...

Thank you... I think. Now my brain really is exploding.

These two statues would brighten up any home.

Bob Fingerman said...

You were half right. It's some hideously misguided Japanese modern fine art.

JRSM said...

It's the sort of idea where you find yourself almost admiring the chutzpah involved in foisting it on the world.

Bob Fingerman said...

I believe "chutzpah" is Japanese. Though I could be mistaken.