Monday 3 September 2012

The Boca Breeze

In July I posted these four tremendous new covers for B. S. Johnson reprints. A helpful commenter told me they were the work of La Boca. by chance, I was just admiring their Louise-Brooks-meets-puffy-paint-in-a-shredder cover for the Booker-nominated The Teleportation Accident. So it seems a good time to do a round up of their various cover art jobs.

Click for a bigger version












Those Nicholas Blake (pen-name of Cecil Day-Lewis) covers make me want to try his Nigel Strangeways amateur detective books again, even though past experience suggests that his non-Strangeways crime novels are far superior (see especially the sadly neglected The Private Wound, out of print now for 25 years.)

4 comments:

matthew. said...

That Gary Shteyngart cover is absolutely stellar. However, Shteyngart's last name is decidedly not.

JRSM said...

Ha! I've actually now bought 2 books by him, and have yet to read either. This is a symptom of something.

Jonathan Walker said...

I initially read 'symptom' as 'synonym' in that last comment. Make of that what you will.

M.J. Nicholls said...

I'm not so sure I like those new BSJ covers. They don't seem to match the bleak/desparing content of the books so much. (I am happy those books are being reissued, however).